Minimum enrolment age: 16* | Levels: A2-C2 | Maximum class size: 12 | Start dates: Every Monday
Is this the right course for me?
Our English for academic purposes course is for people who are preparing to study at a UK university. The curriculum aims to develop all the key skills you will need to succeed at university and to help you with IELTS preparation. The course is a separate full-time programme (25 hours per week) and the duration depends on your entry English level.
4 weeks – if you already have an unconditional offer from the University and you want to improve your academic skills
8 weeks – if you need to improve the level of your English by 0.5 IELTS band
12 weeks – if you need to improve the level of your English by 1.0 IELTS band
The course is designed with the University requirements in mind and it focuses on all the language and academic skills you will need to succeed at your University course. The topics will include academic writing style, note taking, independent study skills, and an introduction to the local academic culture. During the course you will be taking practice exams. You will also have regular academic counselling from your teachers. If required, we will also help you with university or college applications.
English for Academic Purposes Course content:
- Listening skills – extensive listening, active listening and note-taking to help you prepare for lectures and seminars
- Reading skills – skimming and scanning, finding information quickly in texts, paraphrasing and summarising
- Writing skills – essay planning and generating ideas, paragraph structure and linking ideas, presenting an argument and essay writing
- Speaking skills – presentations, participating in and leading discussions or seminars, debating and expressing opinions
- Study skills – essay writing, independent learning and research, critical analysis and thinking, advanced reading and presentation skills.
* 16 and 17 year old students can join the course with their parent’s permission.