An enjoyable learning experience
As well as your course, we also offer a varied social programme. We understand the importance of encouraging the use of your English language skills in a more relaxed and fun environment. Developing your interests, and enjoying your free time will allow you to practise your English, and help you to improve. We run a flexible extra-curricular activity programme arranged on demand, all year round.
For the Junior Learner and the Summer programmes all activities and excursions are included in the price. During the academic year we run a much more flexible activities programme to meet the needs, demands and wishes of our students. Most of the activities organised by the school, such as sports and movie nights, social nights and walking tours are free of charge, most of the museums in Portsmouth are also free. If the activities you would like to do require an entry ticket, you will be asked to pay for it yourself.
At PELS we have a variety of activities to enrich student's English language learning experiences. Portsmouth has a great history and students can visit local historic attractions such as The Spinnaker Tower, Southsea Castle, Historic Naval Dockyards, Charles Dickens Museum, aquarium, City Museum, and Natural History Museum.
Sports are encouraged and students can take part in Badminton, Football, Beach Volleyball, Basketball, Table Tennis and Tennis. We have extra-curricular social afternoon and evening activities with lots of opportunities to communicate with each other.
Examples of activities include:
- Ten pin bowling at Gunwharf Quays.
- Cinema trips.
- International social nights (a chance for our students to communicate with students from all over the world and also with local people.)
- Restaurants. All different types of food.
- Barbecues (seasonal).
- Conversation cafe, discussions/debates covering all different topics, free English tea and coffee.
- Karaoke nights
Visit other cities and attractions:
Portsmouth has good transport links to London and the south of England. Students have the opportunity to visit other cities and attractions at the weekends with the social organizer such as:
- Winchester. Ancient capital of England, Cathedral, King Arthur's Round Table and historic market place (distance: 30 miles).
- Bath: world heritage site , Roman Baths, Georgian housing (distance: 82 miles)
- London. The capital of England, leading global city, Big Ben, London Eye, Tower Bridge (distance: 73.6 miles)
- Oxford. Education centre, Christ Church, Radcliff Camera, Harry Potter (distance: 83 miles)
- Brighton. The Royal Pavilion, Historic Pier, plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs at the seafront (distance: 48.7)
- Thorpe Park (distance: 58.9 miles)
See our facebook page for more photos and info.
NB! All activities are subject to student interest and availability.